A friend’s baby wore a headband with a teeny tiny crocheted flower on it and I have been obsessed with the idea ever since. Not to mention that I am expecting my own little girl in a few short weeks. This headband is perfect for newborn pictures or for every day. It is made of a mohair/polyester blend and is soft and is comfortable for baby to wear. I also have provided instructions to make larger baby sizes. And I can’t believe for the first time in a while, I have no access to a newborn, or even a baby for that matter, so I have no live models! (Well, not yet anyway….) I’ll be sure to update pictures as soon as peanut #3 arrives. :)
- Newborn fits 14” head circumference
- B-2.25 mm hook; I use a Clover hook
- Fine or Super Fine yarn. I used Patons Lace but any fine or super fine yarn will work. You could even use crochet thread.
- Yarn needle
- Not important
Abbreviations and Stitches Used: (In US terminology)
- Ch – chain stitch
- MC – Magic Circle
- Sl st – Slip Stitch
- Trc – triple crochet
- Pattern is written in US terms
- Read pattern in its entirety first
- When working in rounds, I always start with a magic circle; there are many great tutorials on the internet
- If you are working with cotton yarn or thread, I would recommend adding 1-2” to the circumference of the headband since cotton doesn’t have as much stretch to it.
MC, *ch 3, 2 trc, ch 3, sl st in magic ring,* repeat 4 more times. To create headband, ch until length reaches 11”, sl st in magic ring on opposite side of flower, pull tail tight and finish off.
To make 3-6 month size, ch until headband is 13” long.
To make 6-12 month size, ch until headband is 15” long.
Weave in ends.
And now you have a perfect little headband for your newborn!
Hit Print below or click here to download a pdf
Copyright 2014 Colie’s Crochet. All rights reserved. You may use this pattern for personal use, gifts or charity items. Sales of finished items are permitted but designer requests that you link back to pattern and credit Colie’s Crochet with the original design. No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form including but not limited to electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise without prior written consent from the designer.